What is Weatherization?
Weatherization reduces energy cost for low-income families by improving the efficiency of their homes at no cost to the families. Energy saving measures may include:
- Insulating attic and sidewalls
- Air sealing
- Furnace and water heater replacements (if needed)
- Minor repairs (i.e. door repairs)
- Health and Safety measures
Am I Eligible for Weatherization?
You qualify for weatherization by meeting the following requirements:
- Qualified for LIHEAP (Heat Assistance)
- Receive SSI (regardless of income)
- Percent of poverty is below 200%
200% of Poverty (April 1, 2020 - March 31, 2021)
|Size of Household||Annual Gross Income|
What happens after I'm determined eligible for Weatherization?
Data received from your previous year LIHEAP or Weatherization application is used to determine your priority within your county. The State of Iowa requires Weatherization programs to follow the priority list for each county and serve the highest priority number first. Therefore, you may qualify for weatherization, but you may not receive it because of your position on the list.
To apply for LIHEAP or Weatherization, visit your local Family Development Center!
For more information, read our weatherization brochure!
You may contact the following Weatherization staff for more information:
Mike Berg, Energy Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenni Schlichte, Weatherization Assistant - email@example.com
- 33 homes weatherized
- 24 furnaces installed
- 14 water heaters installed
- 22 exhaust fans installed
- 68 carbon monoxide alarms installed
- 27 smoke alarms installed
- 12 LP alarms installed