Tobacco Use Prevention & Control
Smoking is still the #1 cause of preventable death in the United States.
- 20% of adult Iowans smoke.
- Many will develop one or more smoking illness caused by their smoking addiction.
- Still more Iowans are exposed to second hand smoke in their homes, public places and in the workplace. Exposure to second hand smoke kills 53 thousand nonsmokers a year in the United States and harms the health of many more.
New Opportunities has been the recipient of the Iowa Department of Public Health Tobacco Prevention and Control Community Partnership Grant covering Audubon, Carroll, Greene, Guthrie and Sac Counties.
We know what works to reduce tobacco use:
- help people quit,
- eliminate exposure to second hand smoke and
- prevent youth from starting in the first place. But we can't do it without help! It takes the support of the community to create change this important.
Presentations can be given to your group or organization to educate all ages of people about the dangers of tobacco products.
Resources available for a group event:
- Mr. Gross Mouth
- Jar of Tar & Jar of Phlegm
- Teeth in Tobacco Juice
- Pig Lungs
- Chemical Display
- Aging Face Display
- Tarminator Display
- Brochures are available on many topics about tobacco prevention and education.
I-STEP (Iowa Students for Tobacco Education and Prevention) is Iowa's youth-led tobacco prevention movement. I-STEPs tobacco prevention messages can be found by following them on Facebook and Twitter.
Please contact us if you would like more information about presentations, available resources, or starting an I-STEP group in your area.
Also follow the New Opportunities Prevention Department on Facebook.